Sunday 15 December 2013

Brewday : Elderberry + Mixed fruit wine

Had 1.5kg of frozen elderberries in the freezer taking up space that need to be used for Xmas food, also had a ice-cream tub of allotment mixed fruit, jostaberries, gooseberries, strawberries, black and red-currents, raspberries. Not enough to make much with but came to 0.5kg in weight.

I make Elderberry wine every year and is a favorite of mine for drinking. So I have made it up again but added the 0.5kg of mixed fruit to use it all up.

The Recipe is from How to Make Your Own Drinks: by Susy Atkins page 70.



The only things that have been done different to the book is the addition of the 0.5kg of mixed fruit and I boiled the Frozen elderberries up with the water and mixed fruit for 15mins and added 2tsp of  Pectolase just in case when the Must had cooled to 20'c.

Today I strained the Must onto the sugar in the demijohn for it to ferment out. Used 1/2 a packet of Youngs champagne brewing yeast that I had left over. So I hope these changes don't change the wine to much.



No comments:

Post a Comment