Friday 2 May 2014

Brewday: Blackcurrant Wine (Tinned Blackcurrants)

Grabbed another wine making deal from the supermarket again today. £0.75 per 300g tin. They only had the 4 left so we got them all to make another wine.


Opened all the tins and dumped the contents into the 5 litre fermentation bucket, mashed the fruit with a potato masher, then added 2 liters of boiling water on top. I'll add 1 tsp of pectolase just in case of any hazing.


Stirred in 1kg of Sugar, then topped up to 5 litres with more boiling water. Stirred everything up and is now cooling before I'll add some citric acid, yeast nutrient and the yeast (1 tsp of each)

I took a SG reading as I didn't know what the sugar content of the tins would be, and at the moment it's at 1082, so at the moment it will be around the 10% mark. I'm after a sweeter wine for this one so when I transfer the wine into a demijohn, I'll add another 300g of sugar to bring the SG up to around 1105 or around the 14% ABV mark.

I'll leave this to ferment on the fruit in the bucket for about 5-7 days, before it gets transferred to the demijohn and the extra sugar is added.

No comments:

Post a Comment