Sunday 6 July 2014

Brewday: Gooseberry Wine.

With 1.8kg of Gooseberries collected from the allotment. Time to make up a Gooseberry Wine.

We made this Wine a couple of years ago with Pick Your Own Gooseberries (£7.00), but I couldn't  find my notes of how I did it.

Now after making up the Must, I have now located my notes from back in 2011, and I have made it wrong this time. Ah well, I'm sure it will make some sort of wine.



  • Added the Gooseberries to a fermenting bucket and crushed with a potato masher.
  • Added 1.3kg of sugar (this is where I went wrong)
  • Topped up to 5 litres with water.
  • Stirred until dissolved.
  • 1 tsp of Pectolase added to the Must
  • Then added the yeast.
Where I went wrong with this batch was to add the sugar to early. Last time I made it, the sugar was added after the gooseberries had fermented for 4 days and it was Racked onto the sugar. 

I am not sure what the outcome of this Gooseberry Wine will be, maybe if I left the fruit in fermenting for a lot longer before racking into a demijohn it might help. I'll just have to see. At least the gooseberries where home grown this year so I haven't wasted money on the fruit if it goes a bit wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment