Friday 4 July 2014

Brewday: Raspberry (& other mixed soft fruit) Wine

Over the last few weeks I have been collecting soft fruit from down the Allotment and putting them into a old Ice Cream tub in the freezer until I had enough to make up a wine.

I should have collected the fruit in separate containers really so I could maybe make up a wine for each fruit. Maybe next time I'll do it that way.

Most of the fruit in the tub was raspberries, I would say about 80%. The rest was a mixture of black, white and red currants, a few Jostaberries, and a couple of strawberries, I think even a gooseberry snuck in as well. A total of 1.2kg of soft fruit all grown by me is going into this wine.


  • The fruit was all defrosted in the fridge then put into a 5 litre fermenting bucket.
  • Boiling hot water was poured over the fruit so it was just covering the fruit.
  • The fruit was then mashed with a potato masher.
  • 1.2 kg of Sugar was then added to the bucket and stirred until it was all dissolved.
  • 1 tsp of Pectolase added just in case.
  • The bucket was then topped up to the 5 litre mark.


It is now cooling in The Cabin Brewery until it is cool enough to add the Yeast. Most likely tomorrow after work I'll add the Yeast and I'll leave this to ferment on the fruit for a good week to ten days before racking into a Demijohn.

No comments:

Post a Comment