Tuesday 12 August 2014

Brewday : Elderberry Wine

Every year I go out foraging for Elderberries, I really like this wine and have made it now almost every year since I started brewing.

This batch, which I intend to make several, is a early batch of elderberry wine, as the berries on the trees are just coming into fruit.

I got my required 1.5kg of berries (stripped from the stalks), but there are quite a few unripe ones in there, so I hope this won't effect the flavour of the finished wine.

The berries are then put in the bucket and crushed with a potato masher, then I top up the bucket to the 5 litre mark with boiling water.

This is then allowed to cool and then it is fermented on the fruit for a week, no sugar is added yet, this is done a bit later on and I'll blog it then.

I'm making this wine the same way as I always do, more details on this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment