Monday 10 April 2017

Yeast : Starter from stored Isotonic sodium chloride solution.

I have started banking Yeast in a  Isotonic sodium chloride solution, mainly as a hobby within a hobby. I will be making up another beer shortly so decided to try and use my first test yeasts to make a starter. Safale US-05 harvested from my Hellazpopping NZ IPA I made (Harvest Date : 10/03/17).

100ml starter made up to 1.040 (10°P) using some light DME, 10g in 120ml tap water.
Boiled for 10 mins on the stove, dropped in a StarSan'ed stir-bar once the boil was complete and then cooled in cold water in the sink with a foil cover.


Took the 50ml yeast vial from the fridge and warmed it back up to room temperature, decanted off most of the NaCl 0.9% Sodium Chloride. Shook the vial to dislodge the compacted Yeast.
Added the yeast to the cooled wort and put it on the stir-plate.
I'm not sure how much yeast was in the vial, there should have been about 10ml, but I'm not 100% sure it wasn't mostly Trub. I'm guessing that I could have anywhere between 1 and 7 billion viable yeast cells. I'll step this up to 1000ml in a few days if all goes to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment